Wednesday, 4 June 2014

IWSG June







It's time for another Insecure Writers Support Group post, and this month, I wanted to talk about ideas. We all have them as writers, and sometimes I think we have too many of them, buzzing around and distracting. Sometimes I think we make too much of them too, going on about the perfect idea that's going to make a great book, when it's actually your writing that will do that.


The part I find tricky sometimes is the step after the original idea: pinning it down, finding the right angle from which to write it, working out the way it fits into story form the best. Quite often, I find that planning doesn't help with this, because I can come up with a plan for almost anything. Yet often, it takes the first draft, and some of a second, just to learn how to write that particular novel. To learn which bits work, and which bits don't. Just to learn what it's really about.


I've been working on something about the aftermath of the traditional sort of fantasy. It's taken a few tens of thousands of words to work out exactly where this is going. My worry is that in the time it takes to do all this, I could be actually finishing something.

5 comments:

Elise Fallson said...

Settling on just the right method to tackle a story is often difficult. The only way to get through it is by drafting, and editing, and editing some more. But if you've already gotten through a few tens of thousands of words, and you like where it's going, then I think it's definitely worth the effort. Good luck.

Hart Johnson said...

Man, I have SO MANY ideas! I find the best way for me is to let them ferment. I write them down... eventually I transfer them to a spreadsheet I have (that currently has 40 novels waiting to be written)... but the idea that is going to GO is the one that KEEPS bugging me... I keep adding notes and eventually it seems like there's this epiphany and I can't NOT write it. (before I start I then also read through that file to see if another of those ideas can fold into the big one)

S.K. Anthony said...

Oh goodness, I can relate 100%. I'd say we all have our process, like you I write and find just the way an idea's particular novel needs to go after I'm rewriting a draft. Otherwise I feel stuck. We can't focus too much on what we could be doing instead—if we had a different process, if that's the way it works out for you, that's the way. I think, anyway. I've tried outlining and planning it all out and I still change things, so I know, for me at least, it does no good to fight it lol. Good luck! :D

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If it works for you, don't change the way you write. We all want it done yesterday, but is that the best way to write it?
If you have extra ideas, send them my way...

Debra McKellan said...

I know what you mean. Have the idea is great, but molding it into the right words...taxing. lol