Friday, 2 May 2014

A-Z aftermath

So, that's the A-Z over. It was hard work, I'll admit, although at least I made things a bit easier for myself by pre-writing my posts. It was interesting to see how many people said the same things in the comments with this: that they'd always found medieval history interesting, but they could never write a historical novel.


That was the one thing I wasn't sure I was getting across through the month. I firmly believe that about half the time when you're writing fantasy, you are writing history. Half-remembered bits of history, perhaps, but history nonetheless. Basically, if you're writing about knights and nobles and castles you're 'doing' the middle ages in some reflected form. Hopefully, after this month, you've got a few more details to play with.


And I'll try to keep that going. I'm going to try to provide some semi-regular things on fantasy, history, and the relationship between the two.

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good point. Might not be an accurate history, but it is history.
Glad you made it through the Challenge. After five years, I can't imagine NOT pre-writing posts.