Wednesday, 5 March 2014

IWSG March

This month, I thought I'd share something that I find encouraging rather than an insecurity. That thought is simply that I'm doing what I always wanted to do, and I'd guess that it's the same for a lot of writers. It's not a race to some far off finishing line of achieving something, but an on going situation where you have.


What do I mean? It's simple. When they asked me what I wanted to do as a child, I wanted to be a writer. I didn't say that, because I didn't think it was conceivable that anyone could just decide to be one, or that they could make a living if they did. I decided to be a solicitor instead, or a civil servant, or a lecturer.


But the truth was that I wanted to be a writer. Notice the simplicity of that desire. Children want to be writers. It's the adults who talk about major successes, bestsellers, and the rest. I've never had a bestseller in my own name. I've written them for others, but I suspect that whatever it is that makes things bestsellers, I don't have that in me. My novels tend too much towards the funny and the weird for that anyway.


But the thing is, I'm making a living through my ghost writing. I'm a writer, and I'm in a position to go on being a writer. I could be upset that I'm not Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams, but those are more recent dreams. The child who just wanted to make things up for a living would be perfectly happy, and that's enough.

10 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

That's huge. Funny, but I never thought about being a writer when I was a kid. I told stories with my friends all the time but we never considered getting published.

Elsie Amata said...

I prefer books that have a touch of humor in them. Especially if they are crime. Something about having a sarcastic character appeals to me.

Thanks for swinging by my blog. Nice to meet you!

Elsie
AJ's wHooligan in the A-Z Challenge
co-host IWSG

Cherie Reich said...

That's cool you wanted to be a writer as a child. And I think we often forget about just wanting to write when we get caught up in sales and the like.

Chrys Fey said...

I wanted to be a writer when I was a child too. I never once thought that I couldn't make a living writing though, because I didn't understand that at that age. Or that being published is what brings in the money. I just wanted to write. :)

Thank you for visiting my blog!

VR Barkowski said...

Much like you, Stu, as a child I wrote but never imagined being a WRITER. That dream was too big. Instead I dreamt of a profession that would allow me enough free time to put pen to paper. The opportunity to write is privilege for which I am very grateful.

VR Barkowski

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Stuart, you are in the best place possible - you are content with who you are as a person and a writer. And that's awesome. Just keep writing your funny and weird stories. There's no pressure then.

Denise Covey said...

Good on you, making a living through ghost writing. I have a writer friend making a living by researching/writing blog posts for people to up their google search ranking. He loves it. Meanwhile, some authors are selling editing services as I imagine there's not a bucket of gold at the end of the publishing rainbow.

Just popped by when I saw you in comments. Wondered how you were going.

Julie Musil said...

Now THAT'S contentment! You've achieved what so many writers set out to achieve. That's awesome.

Donna Hole said...

I love to hear writers who had this dream as kids are filling it now. What a wonderful thing to be able to do what you love, and get paid for it.

........dhole

Lisa said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing this with us. I too, have always wanted to "be" a writer and am now living that dream. But I am plagued constantly with doubt, especially now that my current novel is in the hands of my "readers" and I've already received some comments back that have the ring of truth to them. So this makes me doubt that this is what I should be doing. Why can't I think of these things (the comments) myself? How will I "become" the writer I'd like to "be?" Hearing your positive take on this helps and I thank you for sharing it, and, for visiting my blog and commenting. Sorry I'm late getting to my IWSG, but better late than never!