Wednesday, 5 February 2014

IWSG February




This is for the February IWSG A lot of my insecurities this month have been about the things that come up when you put out a book yourself: small things of formatting, design and the rest of it, followed now by the marketing things. Because my new novel, The Glass, came out just the other day on Amazon and Smashwords in ebook form, and I'm just finishing the process on the paperback.


One thing I've noticed with all this is the extent to which I want to just dive into another book, but keep getting stopped by two things: first, the feeling that I should be sorting out the one I'm with at the moment, and second, the feeling of wanting to see how this one does. It's almost like the writing life goes on hold around releases.


It's also like I get the urge to run away from what I've just done, because my ideas have mostly been about going in very different directions, whether it's in terms of trying out a new medium (some scrip writing maybe) or shifting to something more serious and literary. I'm planning on seeing if I still feel the same way once I'm done with the promotion on The Glass.


As another point, which I'm sure you must have seen since you're reading IWSG posts: Alex Cavanaugh's novel Cassafire is a part of a promotional special for the next few days- just 99cents until the 10th of February.

11 comments:

Eric Buffington said...

Congrats on the book coming out. That's always an exciting time. I know what you mean about having multiple projects on the go and not knowing which ones to focus my time on.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I understand where you're coming from, Stu. And I bet many other writers do to. I think it's part of our nature as writers to fret and worry. Induces creativity, I think. Best to you.

I'm passing your email along to someone looking for a ghostwriter. Hope that's okay.

Karen Walker said...

Stu, I think it's called recovering. All the hard work that goes into getting a book written and released - maybe our minds and bodies need a little break before diving in to the next thing. Good Luck.

Candilynn Fite said...

Congrats to you on our release. I'm quite sure after the excitement subsides, you'll find it easier to see a clear path. But for now, relish in celebrating. :)

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

So happy for your book release Stu. Congrats. And - welcome to being normal! Getting the book "out there" is nothing like writing and it takes considerable energy and worry - I've been through three times and am close to number four. It never changes. You'll knit-pick and worry forever. Sorry, didn't mean to scare you.

On another note, I always encourage to branch out. If you have the urge to go in another direction, then you probably should. You'll have to try it to know. Best of luck.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Congrats on the release. I also feel like I'm spinning my wheels when I'm doing promotion around a new release. I'm always eager to finish that project and dive into the next.

ayjay said...

Everything does kind-of stop around book release time, doesn't it? My next one is set to be in the midst of April A-Z, so no stopping for me! Not sure how that's going to work but it will be awesome, right? Right. ;)

Happy IWSG Wednesday!
AJ @ Naturally Sweet
An April A-Z Co-host

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks, Stuart!
Congratulations on the new book. Can't run from it. The Glass needs some promotions and attention. Yes, it does feel as if life goes on hold during a release. I can only do one project at a time, so my writing goes on hold until a couple months after a release. Probably not the smartest thing to do though...

Gina Gao said...

Congrats on the release!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

Good luck with your new novel just published.

Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

E. Arroyo said...

I hear you. Releases are so stressful. Once you get to breathe, jump in and write. I wouldn't wait until how the book does. I'll be going Indie this year. Keeping fingers crossed. =)