Wednesday, 8 January 2014

Trying to get organised.

This one is for the IWSG. A few hours late, but I've been a bit rushed. And it's that rush that I'd like to talk about. You see, I'm putting out my novel 'The Glass' myself, and today the wonderful Duncan Eagleson, who is doing my cover, got back to me with the final image. At which point it occurred to me that I could have the novel uploaded and out there in a matter of days if I wanted. It brought home to me just how unprepared I am for all this. I should probably be organising a big cover reveal and blog tour thing, getting the word out about the novel and everything else. But I have no idea what I'm doing. This is the one part of the writing process I've generally had very little to do with, since I'm a ghost writer by trade. My job is to keep myself out of the publicity.


So I'd like to ask for your help and advice. What should I be doing, and how? Would anyone be interested in helping me out if I do the whole big reveal bit? I know it's a bit strange asking for this in the middle of an IWSG post, but this is very much what's making me insecure, the thought that the one book I've felt strongly enough about to put out myself, and my first experiment with the self-publishing route, might not work out if I don't get things a bit better organised.



7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Since it's basically ready to go, start emailing people for blog tour stops now. Pick sites that draw your target reader - the bigger the site the better. Cover reveals seem to be on the wane, but there's still time for a tour.
I'm booked into March, but send me the information when it's ready to go live and I'll gladly give you a shout out!

Nicki Elson said...

You're not late - you're right on time.

I'm certainly no expert on marketing, but yes, it's something we've got to do. Whatever you can do to get people to share info about your book on the social networks is helpful-- whether you gather an e-mail list and send links you want them to Tweet, Facebook, post on their blog, whatever, or do a giveaway and one of the requirements to enter is to share a link to your book on one of the social networks. And if/when you put together that list, please come knock on my door if you don't see me around - I'll totally join it. :)

Also, having some reviews right away is a great thing, so give some trusted readers a pre-copy of the book and ask them to post a review on Amazon on release day -- and then ask your posse to Tweet a link to their awesome reviews!

For cover reveals, you might want to check out Michael Di Gesu's blog - here's a link to his author services page.

Also, Susan Kaye Quinn is a wealth of info on the subject of Indie publishing and recently published this <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Indie-Author-Survival-Guide-Susan-ebook/dp/B00FLJXNOU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1389231282&sr=8-3&keywords=indie+survival+guide>Indie Author Survival Guide</a> w/ lots of great tips.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Good luck. It's so nerve-wracking and stressful.

farawayeyes said...

Hi Stu, nice to meet you. I'm really have nO help to offer, but go on over to www.tossingitout.blogspot.com Arlee Bird has a whole post about marketing and a forum coming up
On the topic. Good luck. I'll be back to follow tomorrow when I'm back at my computer.

Donna Hole said...

This is the best place for the message to reach the most people.

You know I'm always willing to help Stu. Send me an e-mail and let me know when you want the cover reveal to publish and what you want to go with it.

.......dhole

Lynda R Young said...

It's a steep learning curve. That's why I'm not going the self-publishing route. At least for now.

Try checking out the IWSG website http://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com/ It has heaps of resources and info to help you along.

readfaced said...

I wish I could offer you some advice, but I haven't gone this route. I would suggest you don't rush into anything until you feel comfortable with your decisions.

Good luck!
Leanne ( http://readfaced.wordpress.com/ )