Saturday, 4 January 2014

New Year Thoughts

There's a peculiar kind of megalomania that comes with watching cricket. It says that you must keep watching, because otherwise things might go wrong while you aren't looking. It's that abiding sense of responsibility for the fortunes of professional sportsmen thousands of miles away at ungodly hours of the morning. And England still collapsed.

I have some of my ghosting work arranged already for the next year. I said this last year, but it's a good feeling to have, knowing that the work is going to be there. It's not a field where you can build a huge reputation, a lot of the time, so it's more about the individual relationships you have with people as you go along.

I'm still building towards self-publishing my novel the Glass at some point in the early part of the year. If anyone has any ideas about things I need to watch out for, or things I should be doing to promote it, let me know. It's an adventure, based mostly on the realisation that while I can get traditionally published, it isn't currently by the very big people whose presence automatically adds something. Plus, the Glass doesn't entirely fit anyone's idea of a sensible thing, being a comic fantasy, vaguely humanist take on the whole brand of angels and demons filled paranormal stuff that's out there.

I'm also currently revising an urban fantasy thing. That's a bit weird for me. I've gotten UF published before, but I've kind of moved away from it, so I'm wondering whether to pursue this one under a pseudonym, if only to separate it out from any expectations that attach to my normal style. Or maybe that's silly, since people would have had to hear about me for that to be an issue.

No comments: