Wednesday, 4 December 2013

December IWSG

This one is for the IWSG for December. For me, because it contains my birthday as well as all the usual year ending stuff, December tends to be about looking back to think about what I've done in the year. Often, I wonder if I could have done more, but this year is actually quite a weird one:

On the one hand, I've probably written fewer books than for the last three years or so, because I gave up working for a book packager this time last year. My volume has dropped considerably as a result. I've also found that it's quite hard to break back into the academic life from the outside, which is annoying because done right, it could be exactly the sort of regular work that complements my writing.

But I've still done quite a bit this year. I worked on three collaborations with Eve Paludan (Witchy Business, Witch and Famous, Witch Way Out), I wrote five or so romance novels with a client I'm not going to name. I've worked at editing a few novels, helped to produce outlines for a couple, produced one major piece of non-fiction, gotten thirty thousand words through another... oh, and in the meantime I've finished one novel of my own (The Glass, which I'm planning on putting out myself some time at the start of next year), and got through the first draft of another (although it feels like it's not quite the book I want it to be yet).

That is, sort of a quieter year for me, but it's about where I want it to be. How did your writing year go?

9 comments:

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

I was feeling good about getting back into the swing of things until I read your post! You put many of us to shame. I'm looking forward to the new year because I'm all about new beginnings right now! All the best in 2014.

S.K. Anthony said...

You've done a lot! My head is hanging in shame in comparison lol Hope next year is just as awesome, even if you think you can do more ;)

Hope you have a wonderful birthday month!

Hart Johnson said...

Sounds like you've been really productive for a transition year! I am mid-transition now-much more demanding job, so far less stolen 'promotion time' during the day. I take it you're a ghost writer? (for the romance?) I've thought that might be a good way to get some writing experience, though--and this might ring true to you... it probably can't match my income as an academic...

sounds like you are in the swing of things, though. Well done! (I get reflective, too, but usually just the week between Christmas and New Years)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Wow! It sounds like you are getting quite a bit done!
This year I self-published my first (actually second, but first published) novel and a collection of short stories and poetry. I took a plunge in the indie publishing world, and it's been interesting. I've written short stories, poetry, and tons of lesson plans :), and I'm working on the third draft of Champion in Flight (book 2 in the Champion trilogy). So, it's been a good year, and an exciting one.

Best wishes for writing and life in 2014!

stu said...

Hart, yes, I'm a ghostwriter, and you're right in thinking that the income isn't the same, and particularly there isn't the same career progression. This is true to the extent that I've been thinking about getting back into the academic side of things, trying to parlay my combination of a PhD and writing experience into creative writing lecturing. In general, I'd say that ghost writing isn't something to do to get experience, because the way you have to approach books is so different.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sounds like a busy year to me, although writing isn't what I do for a living.
May next year be ten times more!

Nicki Elson said...

That's a quiet year?? I think you can feel plenty good about what you've accomplished and you're a great inspiration to me, who always feels like she's fighting against time to accomplish all she wants to.

My personal opinion is that the academic world would greatly benefit from letting more outsiders in to offer some real-world perspective. Don't give up on that quest!

Lynda R Young said...

Wow, and that's a quiet year? I'm impressed.

Rusty Carl said...

Your quiet year beats mine by a long shot. I remember complaining a lot. About a lot of things.