Wednesday, 6 November 2013

A Couple of Projects

It's the first Wednesday of the month, so it's IWSG. I've got a few things on at the moment, from a romance novel I've got to finish for someone else to a memoir that's kind of a long term thing for someone. As always, the ghost writing means that it's a case of balancing projects and their different deadlines/requirements.

But I do have a couple of things of my own. I've found an illustrator for the cover of my novel 'The Glass', and I'm guessing that we're going to have it out in early 2014 now. It started life as a parody of the whole angels and demons strand of paranormal/urban fantasy, and ended up managing to fit a broadly humanist outlook into the middle of jokes about Bede and fights between supernatural powers.

I'm also working on what is currently looking like a big UF thing with lots of faeries in, but it doesn't have that many jokes for once (so it's more in the vein of Searching or Witch Hunt). But with this one it feels like it's going to need a lot of work on the second draft to turn it from something fairly standard into something interesting enough to bother with. How do you go about turning your work into something more than just the norm? Are you balancing lots of projects at the moment?

5 comments:

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

I am balancing at the moment. I can be a very organized person when I want to be, but sometimes it's hard. I never thought editing an old manuscript could be so difficult, but it is. I'm nearing the end though and then it's on to getting the last book in my trilogy finished. I don't think the balancing act ever ends.

Rena said...

Sounds like you've got a ton of stuff going on. I love that you took a stab at the angels and demons thing, that's gotten a bit out of hand.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's where I'm at right now with my outline. It's a straightforward story that needs some work to make it rise above average. I'm probably going to bounce it off one of my critique partners who is always good at coming up with twists. Maybe someone else could toss you some ideas?

Lauren said...

I love my muse. I talk at her about my books, she talks at me about hers and somehow we both come up with something better than we started with. :)

I did an urban fantasy but I draw the line at angels and demons or the offspring of such. Blech.

Lauren

Thanks for visiting!

Wendy said...

I don't think it's the writer per se, that merrily churns out a manuscript better than the norm ... If it was as easy as that we'd all be doing it. It is subjective after all. I suspect it is our readers who decided that for us.

All the best with your new project.