Tuesday, 13 August 2013

Sticking Points

I get feelings about projects I'm working on. It's inevitable. I live with them for eight hours a day. I come to know them and where they're going. Sometimes, the feeling is one of genuine excitement, because I know it has the potential to be special. Sometimes, it's a 'this is straightforward enough' kind of feeling.

And sometimes, it's a 'I don't know where this is going' feeling. I've been having that one for the last week or two with something that's potentially quite big. It's that feeling that there's no shape to it yet, no direction. That I don't have enough information. There's always a bit of a trick with non-fiction, which is that you can't do accurate research until you know where you're going, and you don't know where you're going until you've started the research.

It's also... I have small worries about things around the work. Part of me says 'just get on with it'. More of me is worried that if I do, those will just grow.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

The whole circle of research yields "knowing where you are going" and "knowing where you are going" yields research direction sounds like a bit of painful circle. The nice thing about fiction is you can just make up a new complication or sub-plot and away you go... Although sometimes that leads into circles as well...

As for how you feel about the work, as long as it's not a feeling of dread, it's all good :)

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

Non fiction on a topic you are well versed in is one thing, but if you're not-yeah, i can see getting bogged down by the daunting research. It's amazing what a glass of wine and a hot bath can do while you ponder it. Then again, that's probably a girl thing. However, don't knock it til you try it! Good luck.