Wednesday, 7 August 2013

IWSG August




This post is for the insecure writers' support group. Last month has been fairly chaotic for me, trying to get a number of things in order following some family stuff. So, some brief things I'm being insecure about this month:

  • A major ghost writing project. By which I mean around 100 000 words of non-fiction, which would make it my longest work ever, including my rather short PhD and my own novels. It's a quite daunting amount, and it seems almost impossible to write at the moment. Of course, that's normal, and the feeling should hopefully recede a little as I get to grips with the research.
  • Getting to grips with Scrivener. There are things about it I definitely like, such as being able to see the shape of an overall project and being able to move things around easily. I've still got a lot to learn with it though.
  • It does seem to have pushed me in the direction of multiple projects again, which is always a weakness of mine. I'm hoping that Scrivener will help me to avoid my tendency to delete things when I get stuck, by allowing me to jump around more.
  • I'm almost definitely going down the self publishing route with my novel 'The Glass'. Now I just need to work out what I'm doing.

14 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

Oh, Scrivener. I have it and tried to use it but it wasn't working for me. I keep hearing about how great it is and it sounds like it's something that would be great for me. I'm giving it another try.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I need a new Mac before I try anything new. There is just so much this ole guy can't do any longer. Happy IWSG.

MollyMom103 said...

Sounds stressful, but there is a lot of good stuff in there. You are ghost writing a book! Kudos! You are learning how to use a new tool to be more efficient writer. Yay! You are making plans to self publish! Be secure in the good stuff. Happy IWSG day!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've written both fiction and non-fiction, and the latter requires so much research. But it's fun to organize it. Once you dive in and start acquiring details, it will come into focus for you.

Karen Elizabeth Brown said...

Good luck on your non-fiction project. Remember to have fun! I've heard a lot about Scrivener lately. I think I need to look into it. Jumping around sounds like my style.

Sarah Ahiers said...

I'm staying away from Scrivener. I don't know that it would work for me. I think i would mostly use it as a distraction

L.G. Smith said...

I've heard good and bad about Scrivener. I think it depends on how your mind works and how you like to organize things. I'm very anal and move in a linear beginning to end format when I write, so I'm not sure it would be great for me. But lots of people like to jump around and write their scenes out of order. It's gotta be a blessing for them to be able to move freely from scene to scene.

Good luck on the ghost writing project too. That's a big chunk of non-fiction. :)

Cherie Reich said...

Good luck with your goals! And I've heard that Scrivener is very helpful. I've recently discovered that Word 2010 has a function where you can move scenes/chapters around, if you label the chapter title Heading 1, so I can see myself using that. :)

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, good luck with all your projects! I'm heading down my first self-publishing trail, too... we probably need a support group.

Like Sarah, I'm afraid to try Scrivener... it is mostly an 'if it isn't broke don't fix it' sentiment...

Huntress, aka CD Coffelt said...

Schrivener is one program too far for me. I know some people are fans but so far Word is the only one I use.

I am intrigued by your books! Will investigate. *TBR list, here I come*

Denise Covey said...

Yes Scrivever needs a lot of time. I tried it once but gave up. Know others who swear by it. Like the sound of your multiple projects.
I read your post on outlining too seeing I am trying to find a method for planning my novels.

Donna Hole said...

Scrivener has always sounded complicated in the explanations. I hope you can get it to work well with that new, daunting project. Sounds awesome though.

......dhole

stu said...

Scrivener currently seems to work best if you do think of it the way its graphics are set out, as a bunch of separate bits of paper, index cards and so on that just happen to all be on your computer. My suspicion is that it also works better if you have a strong idea of the way you want to work/organise things.

Lauren said...

I keep trying to use different writing programs, including Scrivener, and then end up back with Word. But, I know that a lot of people swear by it.

So, it's been a long time since I've visited your blog. I'm happy to see that everything seems to be going great for you! Congrats on the ghost written book and good luck with the self-publish.