Tuesday, 2 July 2013

July IWSG

This is for the IWSG for this month. So, what's making me insecure about writing this month?

  • Waiting for replies. How long is it before it becomes acceptable to gently nudge a publisher and ask whether they've lost your stuff, because one of my current submissions seems to have taken longer than any previous one. I wouldn't mind, but if this doesn't come off, I'll probably put the novel out myself, and I'd like to be able to do that while I'm still getting some benefit from working with a couple of bigger authors.
  • Sequels. I'm on/building up to a couple of sequels at the moment, and the thing with them is having to live up to the last one or make it better. It's also about the thing of having to fit a new story into an old world, where normally, I like my settings to come out of the story that needs to be told.
  • Volume. I had a quick count up last month and found that I'd worked on over 45 published novel length pieces to date, some of which have done interesting and impressive things like making it into the NYT top twenty. Of those pieces, exactly three are mine, and they haven't done anything like as much. More than that, my own writing generally seems to be taking a back seat to all the ghostwriting at the moment. I have ideas, even ideas I'm working on, but they just don't seem to be happening right now. It's not just the full time nature of my ghosting. It's being full time writing, so that I don't really want to do more writing in my off hours.
So that's what I'm being insecure about this month. I'll see you all next month.

9 comments:

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Best of luck in writing and happy IWSG.

Donna K. Weaver said...

I know what you mean about the writing for others and not wanting to write in your own time. Will you ever be confronted with having to decide if you'll let the ghosting go to seek after your own? If your writing is making up that high on the NYT lists...

I've heard from several writers that it's okay to nudge after about 3 months--just to make sure they received it. Good luck!

Kim Van Sickler said...

I hear you on the submissions. I really try not to think about them except as these far off things that I'll hear about some day, but there are days where I'd give anything for a bit of good news.

Having never ghost written, I would think that having publishing success with ghost written work would be satisfying to some extent, but I can definitely see how it could be very frustrating too.

You seem like a talented guy. Hope all of your plugging away pays off soon.

Nancy Thompson said...

Oh goodness, I so could've written this post! My advice, just keep on keepin' on. It's not a bad idea to nudge if it's been a while since you heard anything. I totally get the sequel thing, too. I'm writing one, as well. I find giving progress chapters to my 2 betas really helps me feel where the story is going and if I'm the mark or not, plus their encouragement pushes me forward. And I even get the volume thing, too. I'm also a newly minted editor and I've had 3 of my "book babies" make the NYT bestseller list. Not so for myself. But I still feel good about it. So keep on working and give yourself lots of down time to recharge.

Great post! I'm one of Alex's July IWSG minions!

Christine Rains said...

Sometimes I don't know how to handle submissions when I don't hear anything for a long while. I don't want to annoy them with a poke, but still, I'd like to know what my status is. Good luck with your writing!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's some impressive ghostwriting!!!! Sucks that you can't tell the world, but you know that you wrote those books.
Sequels are my insecurity this month. But you already knew that.

Donna Hole said...

I have no answers. I was accepted in to separate publications almost two years ago and - no new sense. When do you pull an accepted publication?

.......dhole

stu said...

Typically, the publishing contracts I've had have specified publication within a reasonable time (usually defined as 6 months to a year barring anything odd I do depending on the people involved). After two years, you're more than entitled to say that the other people aren't fulfilling their end of things, which is to publish the piece.

Gina Gao said...

These are great points! Submissions are always nerve wracking!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com