Wednesday, 1 May 2013

IWSG: Things I Learned In April

In April, a paranormal romance I worked on with Eve Paludan and then JR Rain (Witchy Business, watch out for the sequel shortly) came out. It went to #1 in Amazon's free fantasy chart for a brief while, and since going paid has jumped into the top ten of at least a couple of their sub-categories. In the course of all this, I've learned a wide variety of things about both the process of writing and publicity (which I've never been that good at). Here are just a few:

  1. Giving away a book doesn't guarrantee anything, but it doesn't actually hurt your sales. The people who get the free version aren't the people who were going to give you money for it. They might be the people who will give you a good review though, or get your ebook up near the top of a chart where other people will see it, or simply buy your next one.
  2. Blogtours might or might not do anything. One curiosity about the way this one came out was that there wasn't the huge fanfare that comes with some releases. JR Rain announced it on his facebook and twitter, Eve and I did the same with the various places we were. That was enough for it to do fine. I'm not suggesting that interviews etc never do anything, yet my own experience of them is that they're a thing in their own right rather than a route to sales.
  3. Covers that look a bit over bright and splashy when big are perfect when you've got a thumbnail an inch across to play with.
  4. You can write much faster than you think when you're in the grip of a story (15 days for the original novella that became the novel)
  5. That one star reviews happen, even if other people are giving you five stars, and it doesn't matter to me as much as it used to.
  6. That genuine half and half collaboration can work surprisingly well. (Although I worked in my capacity as ghost on this one, it was a lot more evenly balanced than many of the projects I've been in on).
  7. That self/small publishing might be more interesting than I thought.

6 comments:

Lynda R Young said...

I love being in the grip of a story. And you're so right, you do write so much faster at those times.

I always thought bad reviews would bother me, but they really don't. Nice surprise.

Lynda R Young
IWSG co-host

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have several bad reviews and they don't bother me. The funniest one is the guy who downloaded a sample and gave it one star - dude, you didn't even read it!
I still think blog tours work. One just has to be new and creative with it.

Cherie Reich said...

Fantastic things to learn! :)

Sheena-kay Graham said...

You learn so much on the journey of writing and every review counts.

June IWSG Co-host

Cherie Colyer said...

I love when I'm in the grip of a novel. It's fun to see how fast the word count goes ups. Thanks for sharing!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey Stu! Hope everything is all right. Missed you this month for the IWSG.