Thursday, 11 April 2013

Multiple works.

Novels, novels, everywhere... I'm working on about three at the moment, although it may be two again after my attempts to play around with my own the other night.

Sometimes people ask me how I keep everything distinct in my head when I happen to have more than one thing running at once. The answer is complicated. Partly, it's because I don't try to do it all in my head: I'm relying on carefully written plans/outlines to give me the shape.

Partly, it's because characters in books are closer to one another than most people admit. We see so little of them, and in such a controlled way, that creating differences between them is relatively straightforward. Particularly if you happen to view them as a part of the story as a whole rather than separate individuals, because that helps to give each one some of the flavour of the story.

Partly, it's an organisational thing. I tend to work on particular pieces at different times of the day (or at least in a consistent order) so I know which space my head has to be in for each one.

On a separate note I may just have given up on the idea of complete spontenaity for novels. Pantsing through the current idea has been giving me some nice ideas, but I just realised I have no idea where it is going.

No comments: