Tuesday, 4 December 2012

IWSG

The thing that's intriguing me this month is the thought of crossing media. I think it comes from having picked up a copy of Neil Gaiman's Death (deluxe edition), and being reminded that there are people out there who do novels, and short stories, and poems, graphic novels, film scripts, episodes of Doctor Who...

And here I am, drifting along doing mostly just novels. Which I enjoy doing, obviously, but wouldn't it be fun to do a bit of everything. Except that each new form is... well, a whole new form to learn. With all the usual bumps in the road along the way. So why step away from the stuff I do well for one of them? It's a risk. Maybe one worth taking, but still a risk.

And just for a moment, I'd like to talk about the opposite of risk, because earlier today, for the first time since I started writing, I realised that I had enough writing work for next year to make a living already kind of lined up. That's a good place to have got to.

9 comments:

Jeremy Bates said...

That's great. I always try to back things up with some additional work just in case if you know what I mean. I wish you the best of success. Cheers.

Julie Luek said...

You are a master of success at this business- blending both creation and lucrative work. Best of success to you.

Laura Brown said...

I enjoy drawing as much as I enjoy writing (although due to tendonitis, creative "artist" block and other factors, I find I tend to find the writing periods are more prolonged than the drawing ones) and I'm quite greedy and selfish in admitting that I probably won't let another artist ever do illustrations or the like for my work...I would happily collaborate though :P But the downside is that you need a lot of time to indulge in other creative pursuits...graphic novels and comics are horribly time consuming (and usually produced by whole teams of artists) and don't get me started on crafting XD For now at least, I'll stick to scribbyl-scrabbly and typpity-tappity :P

Cherie Reich said...

That's great you have work lined up for next year! And it's good to take risks and try a new form. You may find you really enjoy it. :)

Arlee Bird said...

You are in an enviable position. It's fun to dream about all the different things we could do, but time usually limits our focus to a much narrower range. Don't stop dreaming, but don't lose focus either when that success is the force that drives your personal economy.

Lee
Wrote By Rote

Tasha Seegmiller said...

I'm quite impressed you have enough writing for work. I work and then write and the two aren't connected yet.

And why not dabble in another genre? It could be awesome, and maybe not, but you'd probably be more annoyed if you didn't try.

Glad to have found your blog.

M Pax said...

That's an awesome place to have reached. Congrats!

Maybe try the different media just for fun. Maybe you'll learn something to help the novels, or perhaps you'll find a new passion. You never know.

Georgina Morales said...

I'd say 2013 is looking like a great year for you! Best of luck and an awesome season.

C.M.Brown said...

That is an amazing position to be in, good luck to you. Thanks for signing up to be involved in W4Ws. I have only just come up for air and have decided to pay everyone a visit. Also just become a new follower.