Monday, 5 November 2012

Embrace the Chaos

This one, for the IWSG (and about five minutes early), is a post that's largely about priorities. For the last month or two, I've been putting things aside to make time for a course to qualify as a fencing coach. At the same time, I've been pushing things aside writing wise to make room for some ghost writing gigs. Then there are the moments when I've been approaching publishers, talking to potential reviewers...

The point is that none of this is stuff I particularly planned, so I sometimes find myself wondering how useful these detailed point by point plans are that people occasionally have. You know, the ones that say they will have the novel done by x date, revised by y, and an international bestseller by z. Life is so chaotic. Life as a writer particularly so. We can keep sight of what we want, what makes us happy and what is right for those around us, but we can no more make something as complex as life abide by our wishes than Canute could command the sea.

In particular, I find it's worth remembering that these choices aren't straightforward good v bad ones. Often, they're between many things that we care about, which is as it should be if we're interested in the world around us. And it's a good thing. Perhaps sometimes, we should spend less time trying to impose ourselves on the writing life and more time just embracing it.

6 comments:

Julie Luek said...

I left a comment similar to this one another blog. It's great to have goals and pursue them, but I can't sacrifice the relationships in my life on that alter. You're right, life can't be boxed quite so neatly.

Empty Nest Insider said...

This was so true, and I love your last line! Good luck on becoming a fencing coach. it takes lots of skill and discipline which will also make for great writing material. Julie

farawayeyes said...

Embrace the chaos. It's only life.

kmckendry said...

Yes embrace life, then write about it!

Patsy said...

I do set goals, but I don't get too stressed if I don't meet them all.

Nicki Elson said...

Silly humans always trying to control things, right? Love this post. :) I wish you lived by me because I really want to learn fencing.