Wednesday, 5 September 2012

The Next Day

It's time for the monthly Insecure Writers' Support Group post, and I thought I'd chat about the Next Day. Because I write for a living, that's what writing is for me. It's what I'm going to be doing tomorrow, and the next day, and the next... That sounds like a complaint, so I'll preface this by saying that I enjoy writing a great deal, and I'd rather be doing it for a living than working in an office, or practically anything else.

Having said that, the moment you have to do something, that's when it gets tricky. The difference between writing professionally and as a sideline isn't the quality. The quality comes down to the writer. The difference is that the professional (certainly in ghostwriting) has to come back and do the same thing again tomorrow to the same standard, whether they're inspired or not.

So it's nice to be able to get some of my own stuff done for once, including some work on a novel idea I've been playing with. Now I just need to work out what I'm going to do with it.

9 comments:

L.G.Smith said...

I'm not paid to write yet, but I try to treat it as if I were. I make sure to write every day, and, as you say, keep the quality at a level that will hopefully some day deserve compensation. If people only write when inspired then they're probably doing a lot of other things with their time. :)

Murees Dupé said...

It is nice to know that you also write for a living. Though, it sounds like you manage your professional and personal writing time so much better than me. Enjoy the novel writing time. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Most people think 'paid to write' sounds great, but it is still a job. Bet some days of total 'uninspiration' are tough.

Melissa Bradley said...

I hear you. It's very important to keep writing no matter what you're personally feeling or going through.

Thanks for the advice you shared on my blog. It helped clear up some confusion.

Bavardess said...

I used to be a journalist, so I can certainly empathise with the feeling that some days writing is just plain hard graft! I've been trying to develop a daily writing discipline because if I sit around waiting for inspiration to strike, I just won't get enough done.

The Golden Eagle said...

Probably because I'm in school, writing every day regardless of other factors is hard for me. Something I have to work on--or I have to take a harder look at my writing goals.

Tia Bach said...

SO true. I need structured writing time, and the chaos of summer threw me for such a loop that I'm struggling to get back to it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Gina Gao said...

It's really nice to know that you write for a living. I wish I could do that.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

April said...

Very true. Great post.