Wednesday, 1 August 2012

IWSG- the next thing



They say that one of the big things when writing is to get on with the next thing. Just finish something, send it out and find the next thing to do. I’ve always found that a bit complicated, because it feels like things never run quite that smoothly. Either there’s a pause while I try to think of a new thing, or I started it before I finished the first thing, with the result that I probably didn’t finish the first thing.

Then there’s the stuff I do for a living. The game there with the ghostwriting is managing the workload, so that I have enough projects at a given time. Thankfully, I’ve hit the stage where I’m not worrying too much about where my next project is coming from, or at least, I shouldn’t, but you can always find a way to worry if you try, right?

10 comments:

Stephen Tremp said...

Hey Stuart, great to meet you! I woke up in the middle of the night worrying about little stuff I have no control over. So you're right we can always find stuff to worry about.

Just have to block it out and find something to be thankful for and focus on that. Happy happy joy joy.

Melissa said...

I'm having the opposite trouble. New ideas keep dogging me before I can finish what I started. Maybe once the kids are in school I can catch up. Nice post! :)

IWSG #179 (At least until Alex culls the list again. :P)

Deniz Bevan said...

That sounds easier said than done because I'm one of those people that barrels through a first draft and then has to go back to edit. If I could write slowly and edit as I go I might be finished when I finished! Instead I'm constantly tweaking and revising and adjusting...

Nancy Thompson said...

Writers will ALWAYS worry, no matter where they are in the process.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I always struggle to find the next project.

Julie Luekenga said...

Wonderful to have projects lined up. It keeps me from dwelling in the doubt and insecurity of what I just completed.

Katharina Brendel said...

If it happens that a new idea strikes before you finish the first it might be good to jot that idea down but not work on it until you are done with the first!

As too taking breaks between projects, as long as they are not year long breaks I think taking a breather is absolutely fine :)

Bavardess said...

Oh, how I can identify with your desire to move on to the next thing before you've quite finished with the current thing. Sometimes, though, the writing really does work better that way and you just have to follow where it leads.

Gene Pool Diva said...

When excitement overcomes worry you've got your next project.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Hi Stuart. I'm making the rounds on all the IWSG members. It's great meeting you. I bet your day job is fascinating.