Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Insecure Writers' Support Group


This is my first post for the whole insecure writers’ support group thing. Do I qualify as insecure? There’s obviously the school of thought that says all writers are, and I imagine just belonging to this particular blog hop suggests I might agree. Yet isn’t that just one more of those ‘you have to be this kind of person to be a writer’ statements?
 
Still, there must be things I worry about as a writer. Next novels. They're on my mind because I've just finished the first draft of one. That’s always a good one, because it doesn’t go away just because you happen to have three novels out in the ether, or because you’ve worked on thirty odd other ones for other people. It’s always ‘is the next one any good?’, and I suppose that degree of insecurity is actually a useful thing.

At least, it keeps me looking for the holes in my work. It keeps me thinking about what could be wrong with it enough to actually go out and fix the bits that are wrong. Maybe without the worry that our work won’t be good enough (to please whom, incidentally?) we’d just dash off any old thing and call it a body of work. Not that I have. Um… excuse me while I just go back and check.

10 comments:

L.G.Smith said...

Yeah, I agree a measure of doubt is a good thing in a writer. It keeps us striving to do well enough not to embarrass ourselves. :)

Welcome to the IWSG!

Donna Hole said...

I joined this group from its inception, but I'm not always insecure as a writer. Sometimes, I feel inspired and just want to share that; other times I just want to read what others are going through so I know I'm not alone. So, you don't always have to post an insecurity; you can share awesome news for yourself or someone you know and bask in the glow.

But; I do know what you mean about "the next story". I've had some short stories published, and every time I sit down to write another, or revise something already written, I wonder if it will be good enough to get me another publication, or if anyone would even care to read it. My confidence hasn't grown so secure yet that I feel everything I produce will be good, or that anyone will buy it even if it is.

So yeah; I think insecurities come with the writing career; but they may show up in unexpected areas.

Welcome to ISWG Stu. Nice to have you aboard.

.......dhole

Vikki (www.the-view-outside.com) said...

Hi :)

Just popping by from the IWSG :)

I think your post just shows that no matter where we are on our writing journey, we all still have those same feelings :)

I've just given up on a WIP because I wasn't happy with it, didn't feel it was strong enough. Being honest with myself has been hard, but now I've made that decision I feel like a weights been lifted and I can move on to do other things :)

Good luck honey, keep moving forward :)

Xx

Anna Smith said...

Yeah I totally agree. It's like fear, you need it really or you would never try to better yourself :)

A Thought Grows said...

A little "lawd help me" in my writing keeps me open to learning and alert to better ways to write. Too much insecurity tips me into wine n' type mode (not always a bad thing). For me feeling unsure is inevitable but not entirely undesirable.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A little insecurity keeps us humble and striving to do better.
Welcome to the IWSG!

Christine Rains said...

I think that bit of doubt and fear helps you grow as a writer. We all need to keep learning and bettering ourselves.

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

I wouldn't know how NOT to worry!

Gina said...

It is so true! I do think that people with artistic tendencies are always doubting about how good really is the piece they just finished, or the one they'll just start. Doubt pushes us to be better, to look for the next thing that'll improve our art, that'll take us to the next step in a never-ending stair to perfection. Doubt is as important for art as the artist itself, so I guess we're not that bad if we have a few. =)

From Diary of a Writer in Progress

Lexa Cain said...

I guess everyone has insecurities, writer or not. I think the point is just what you mentioned -- to use them to make you improve and become a better writer rather than as an excuse to do less and procrastinate more.
As you can see, I'm busy at work on my WIP revisions -- not procrastinating at all by posting on a hundred IWSG blogs...