Saturday, 10 March 2012

Stuff

It’s been quite an exhausting week, on a purely physical level. Last Sunday I fenced the Nottingham Open (and now I’ve heard that Leeds are doing another one in April, so I’m signed up for that), then there were the two BJJ sessions and a fencing training session. I’ll either be very fit at the end of all this or keel over.

My current work in progress is now officially into uncharted territory. I’m past the spot where I kept deleting it as awful and unworkable, primarily because I’ve been very focussed about the start and refused to let it meander the way it did (okay, just a little, but this is me). Of course the danger is that I’ll leave out some of the things that make it such an important idea for me, but right now I just want to get a version of it down. If I have to expand that, that’s fine.

I’m reading Robert Twigger’s Being A Man (In A Lousy Modern World) which I wasn’t sure I’d enjoy. I’ve always had a bit of a hit and miss relationship with his work (I still haven’t finished the Last Oasis, but I enjoyed Angry White Pyjamas and Big Snake). So far, this one feels quite readable, though like The Extinction Club, it’s much shorter and more ideas focussed than his big non-fiction ones.

The body for a guitar I’m building is in the post. I’ve found this project both quite satisfying and deeply frustrating at the same time so far. There’s something profoundly satisfying about putting something together with your hands, especially when it’s not just the equivalent of flat pack building (I had to file out the headstock tuner holes to fit even vintage sized tuning pegs.) Yet there’s also a lot of waiting around for parts. I suppose I could have gotten round it by taking a lump of wood and doing things the hard way (the very hard way, since I don’t have a jigsaw or a router) but that’s probably a bit too much work even for me right now.

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You are building your own guitar? I am in total awe...

stu said...

For a given value of the word 'building'. I'm mostly fitting together bits I've ordered from other people on this one. Frankly, the hardest bit was coming to terms with the fact I have distinctly odd tastes in guitars.