Thursday, 16 February 2012

Just Writing

Listening too much to reviews can be a dangerous business, because of course, you don't know who this person is, or why they're saying it, or even whether following suggestions there will completely wreck other elements of your writing. In the past week or two, however, I have been kind of following some advice that has cropped up once or twice in reviews of Court of Dreams. Generally, so far, people fall into two camps: those who love it, the humour, and the rest of it, and those who feel that the humour overshadows the rest a little. The point where I started listening was when a friend told me that she loved the book, but that she actually agreed with the point that I was maybe trying too hard to be funny. (Incidentally, if anyone thinks it's odd at this point that I'm admitting to there being people out there who don't think my novel is perfect, I don't see any problem with it. I think it's a good novel. I love it. I think you should read it. I'm just willing to accept that my next one could be even better).

So that's kind of what I'm trying at the moment. I'm trying to just write the story a little more, rather than worrying that I'm not getting in enough jokes. Jokes are coming anyway, so if I concentrate on the bits in between, in theory, the whole thing should go wonderfully (somebody remind me of this when I declare that it's all going horribly wrong).

3 comments:

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

I think you'll know what's right if the comedy comes out as a natural progession. If you're asking yourself if you should even have comedy at a certain point - then is answer is probably "no".

Good luck with the book!

Angeline said...

We never stop learning, or developing our craft, so we should always be striving to make our next book better. Best of luck with it!

stu said...

I think the thing was that with Court of Dreams I was making a conscious move over to comic fantasy from urban fantasy, and I wanted to emphasise that.