Thursday, 26 January 2012

An Old Story

An interesting thing happened about twenty minutes ago. I went back to an old idea, and found that I hadn’t deleted it as I normally do when things go wrong (because I feel that sometimes old ideas can get in the way). Instead, I’d kept it, and I actually added a little bit to it. Now, I’m not saying that this has converted me to the ‘keep everything’ school (would you do that with anything else in your house? De-cluttering can be good.) It has proved quite fun though.

Fun is perhaps the wrong word. A friend of mine echoed one of the reviews of Court of Dreams when she suggested that she would have actually preferred fewer jokes because that lets me get closer to the heart of the characters. Now, she also said that she still enjoyed it a lot, so please don’t let that put you off, but it’s an interesting thought. Despite having written twenty odd novels if you include the work as a ghost-writer, I’m still learning this stuff. I suspect everyone is. So perhaps I’ll try just for a bit to simply write and see what comes out, rather than making a special effort to be funny. So far, plenty of jokes anyway, but also just some straightforward imaginative storytelling.

One thing I’m learning is to just write what I want, when I want. If I’m not enjoying it, why should anyone else? So trying to force myself to write and write is not going to happen. Probably.

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Keep all those old ideas. I kept one for thirty-plus years and finally rewrote it. That story became my first published book.