Tuesday, 3 January 2012

Looking Forward

Okay, so I said below that I don’t really do resolutions, but I can look forward a little to the year ahead, in all kinds of areas:

Writing- Last year, I didn’t really get much new writing for myself finished. Partly, that was because I’ve been busy writing for others. Partly, it’s because I’ve been caught up in preparing Court of Dreams for publication, and partly, it’s because I kept getting part way through things and deleting them. I’d like to get another novel written this year though, and I think I have a nice idea.

My Novels- Clearly, Court of Dreams is my current focus, and I want to do a better job promoting it than either I or my previous publisher did with my two urban fantasy novels (you didn’t know about the two urban fantasy novels? I think that makes the point). In the immediate term, that means making as big an initial splash as possible (and if anyone is feeling kind enough to mention the existence of it, that would be really kind. I’m also getting a small number of author copies in the near future to use for promotion). I’m more interested in the longer term stuff though, because these days, everyone seems to be shouting about their novel just being released. I’d like to start that with one simple request: if you happen to be one of the people who reads Court of Dreams (and if you like Terry Pratchett-esque stuff and that whole brand of funny fantasy, you really should) and you find that you like it, please tell someone that. I’m not asking you to review it on your blog, though obviously that would be wonderful. I’m asking you to tell your mum, or your friend, or the bloke sitting next to you on the bus. It’s amazing how many books we just don’t tell people about. I’d rather this one wasn’t one of them.

Fencing/Martial Arts- Fencing competitions to enter, of course. First, the Yorkshire sabre, probably, then… the world! No, hang on. Then… getting my ranking above 224, which is where it currently languishes (although that’s an improvement over this time last year). On the martial arts front, I guess I’ve now hit the stage with grappling of looking for a more complete game, so that’s the goal for this year.

Ghost Writing/Editing- I’m looking forward to being involved in some nice projects this year, but I’m also determined to demand what I’m worth for them, since in the past I have occasionally taken on jobs too cheaply ‘for the experience’ or because I’ve lacked the confidence to push for more.

Reading- I’m currently stuck reading the same old authors. That’s fine, because there are some lovely books there (I just read Neil Gaiman’s Anansi Boys) but I suppose I should look for something new this year.

Blogging- No, I’m not going to start a schedule or anything like that, but I am going to focus on blogging about whatever I enjoy, not just what I think people might want to read. I’m probably going to spend less time trying to tell people how to write too. I suspect most of you already know, and the world is full of so many other things.

2 comments:

April Plummer said...

I just have one thing to say - NEVER delete ANYTTHING you write!!! Shame on you! Keep every false start, everything you think is a piece of crap. You never know when you could use it.

There's a manuscript I started in the middle of a lot of pain during my divorce. I have no idea what happened to it, but I think it was good and wish I hadn't destroyed it.

Another I started quite a few years ago...I can't remember much about it, but I have this hazy memory of some really rockin' quotes. I wish I had them now.

Keep EVERYthing. :)

Otherwise, good luck with your goals! If you're on Goodreads, you can check out my shelves. I have a pretty decent variety of books and authors and genres on there.

stu said...

I'm afraid deleting is part of what I do. I must have deleted over half a million words by now at various points.