Wednesday, 29 December 2010

Resolutions Reviewed

At the start of the year, I made the following resolutions:

  1. To fence at least one competition worth ranking points this year.
  2. To write something everyday on whatever my main project is
  3. To seek academic publication, an academic position, and world domination. Not necessarily in that order.
  4. My writing still needs more penguins.
  5. To improve my cardio-vascular fitness to the point where I don't feel like I'm going to die after the first round of fencing's direct eliminations.
  6. To sell at least one novel this year.
So, how did I do? Well:

  1. I fenced the Sheffield Open, The Leeds Open, and the National Championships. All competitions with the potential for ranking points. I actually got ranking points out of precisely one of them.
  2. I'm ghost writing constantly, but that means that I often didn't put as much into my own work as I should have. Even so, I finished at least one novel.
  3. I briefly attempted this, and continue to, off and on, though it is less of an immediate priority.
  4. Several crept into the ghost writing. A success, I think.
  5. I got through the first round at leeds without breaking a sweat. Then again, I did earn a bye for that one.
  6. Are there things I wrote this year available from Amazon? Why yes, there are. Do they have my name on? No. For things that do, but which I sold last year, look slightly to your right.

4 comments:

Bethan. said...

Sounds like success to me!

Nicole MacDonald said...

penguins?...... kay

I just got my first thing on Amazon!! Crazy excited bout it even though it's technically not available till 1st (hence signature) but I checked before and there it was - nearly had a heart attack ;p

The Arrival, book one of the BirthRight Trilogy, available on Amazon 1.1.2011
www.damselinadirtydress.com

Genie of the Shell said...

Hey, good job remembering your resolutions and making progress on all of them! I find blogging to be a good tool for keeping oneself on track. Not necessarily being too serious about resolutions, but at least keeping track of them.

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

It sounds as though you are already leaps and bounds ahead of me. I don't make resolutions, in fact I blogged about it today. I look at them as a way to set yourself up for failure. However, if resolutions work for others, I think it's great.

Wish I could find some ghosting of my own. Wouldn't even know how to go about it. At least I'd be writing and earning an income while I write my own stuff.