Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Stuff

One of the slightly awkward bits when writing comic fantasy is describing your main characters when we first meet them. All the normal difficulties of description (not wanting a huge break for a section marked 'this is a description', not producing something bland and repetitive) apply, but at the same time, it has to be made funny. It can be quite tricky to find the perfect similies without making them seem too odd.

One possibility does occur, which is a variation on the old mirror trick. That's the one where the MC happens to check their appearance on the way to something, giving us a chance to see them. To make it funnier, why not go with a magic mirror inclined to give fashion advice?

I've sent a fairy tale inspired piece off to an anthology, all about what happens after the happily ever after, so we'll see what happens with that. It's slightly obsessed with ponds.

On the fencing front, this weekend is the Leeds open. Assuming that I manage to park at some point on the day (Leeds not being terribly helpful in that respect) it should be a fun competition. I did, however, make the classic mistake of checking the entry list against the British rankings, to see where I should be aiming to come. It's an obvious way of taking the whole thing far too seriously.

1 comment:

Elena Solodow said...

I have the problem where I avoid character description too much, because I do dislike the "LET'S STOP FOR DESCRIPTION" part of most stories. Alas, a sentence or two is necessary, and I agree, it must contain something witty.