Tuesday, 10 August 2010

What I'm Writing Now (ish)

I'm currently finding myself fascinated by fairy tales. Maybe it's just that they are inherently larger than life anyway, but they strike me as such a great source of potential funniness. Particularly if you are as determined to be annoyingly literal as I am. Yesterday, for example, I found myself writing a short story that did no more than take the notion of a fairy godmother in a suitably ganster movie sense (and yes, I'm aware that Robert Asprin beat me to it with the interdimensional mob's fairy godfather). From there, it sort of branched out into a very different take on the whole Cinderella thing, which I'm hoping the editor I sent it to will like.

I also find myself veering back towards the short stuff. Flash fiction length, in fact, which is a bit awkward since I now have to look up a bunch of FF markets, given that I don't normally write quite that short. My 'natural' length seems to be a slightly awkward 1500 words. Well, that or a full novel. Does anyone else have a natural writing length?

Current possible directions (if the insides of my brain might worry you, look away now): Another crack at the notion of a zombie sofa. Redoing the stalled Brian Northington stuff as YA with funny bits. Something about finding the right sword in the stone among several hundred (being too tired to pull it out after). Snow White's dwarves as bodyguards (identified, as all crack teams are, only by their callsigns). What the evil scientist/villain does in a normal town, when a good thunderstorm just refuses to show up. Something about hiring film extras to fill out a horde...

You get the idea.

6 comments:

Raquel Byrnes said...

I love the snow white crack team idea and of course, the villain that nothing will go right for...you HAVE to explain what zombie sofa is...I mean...what??

My natural writing length seemst to be in the 95,000 range. I don't know why all my storie seem need just that much to play out.

Mesmerix said...

I like to write 2500 shorts or 500 flash. I also enjoy the 100k novel. I struggle with anything between 2500 and 100k...

Go with the villain/scientist idea. I'm always interested in the different sides of our typical evil-doers. Humorous slants are perfect for this, I think, and some of the traditional fairy tales that you've suggested have been rehashed to death.

Bad guys are so much more fun!

stu said...

A while ago, sitting with some friends, mining them for information for an article (as you do), one of them happened to mention the words "zombie sofa" (they are very odd people). I have spent a considerable amount of effort since trying to do something, anything, with the notion of zombie furniture. It has achieved a mention in one of the unpublished novels as one of the things a monster hunter had worked on, a not entirely satisfying short story, and now I want to do more with it.

Olivia J. Herrell said...

I love fairy tales anything. Some of my favorite movies are the animated ones, the funnier the better. You have some great ideas kicking around, I hope you'll share more as time goes on.

~that rebel, Olivia

Jodie said...

Brian would work so well as YA (Tiffany Aching type YA). Especially with his lizard fascination, bound to get people interested.

Johanna said...

Hi Stu,

Left a little something for you over at my blog...