Tuesday, 17 August 2010

I'm writing everything

Normally, I like to work on one thing at once. For some reason though, I'm currently writing about half a dozen things at the same time, flitting between them as I go. It's proving to be a useful way around the part where I can't really focus on a single piece at the moment without deciding that it's awful.

I have just (presumably long after everyone else) come across the writing of Mike Carey, and specifically his Felix Castor series of urban fantasy. It's nice to read a novel in the genre where the settings are ones I at least vaguely know about (London), and the great writing is obviously good too.

I have finally stopped merely thinking about sending the novel out to more agents and actually sent it to someone. They may or may not reject it out of hand. I'm hoping for may not.

It's just a couple of weeks until the SFFANZ announces the results of the Sir Julius Vogel awards for New Zeeland based fantasy and sci fi. I'm on the other side of the world, you say? True, but a couple of my short stories are in the last Semaphore anthology, which has a couple of entries there.

4 comments:

Jodie said...

Good luck with having the novel out there.

Raquel Byrnes said...

I hope you hear back some good news. Perhaps it is the nervous energy over the sumbission and the contest that is fueling this multi-tasking...make the most of it and get a ton of writing done. =)

Lovy Boheme said...

Send send send! No one can say "yes" if they don't have your manuscript in the first place. Good luck!

Dibakar Sarkar said...

Wish you all the best!