Monday, 5 July 2010

A Writing Day, ish.

My mother finished the book, and seems to like it, though it can be hard to tell with mothers, can't it. Is that a real 'I loved it' or a 'that's nice dear' one? Hopefully the former. Of course, now my dad has his hands on it (which is bad news for the book because he is one of those irritating people who insist on bending the spine back).

Thankfully, I have nearly finished another in the series (the third) so my mother won't run out of things to read soon. I have discovered that the hard thing about writing a book is not getting it done, it is simply finding the time for it, as I am learning with my own efforts.

On that front, and thanks largely to some positive comments on the various stories he is in, I have decided to have a go at a full (ish) length Brian Northington effort. I have a plot of sorts worked out, and a few characters in place, so off we go. This is, you understand, all your fault.

My various efforts today may be subject to a bit of a break while the cricket teams of Pakistan and Australia play one another later today (from Lords. Apparently London now counts as a home match for Pakistan, what with people having security issues with matches in Pakistan). One high point should be seeing Shaun Tait and Shoaib Aktar vying to bowl faster than one another. Tait went past 100mph the other day, and Shoaib has done it a couple of times in his career, so I can't see either of them just trundling in to concentrate on line and length.

4 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

My mother reads my manuscripts with enthusiasm. Then she compares me to authors she likes (which I am not at all like). And then she tells me she doesn't understand why I'm not published. Gotta love mothers.

I don't like bent spines either.

Tessa Conte said...

Never did understand cricket.

And congrats on finishing another one of the series!

Mothers are a difficult reader group, aren't they? Fathers, too. Mine certainly are ; P.

Olivia J. Herrell said...

I'm so glad you're going to give Brian a full story, I loved him and *shudder* Spider! Yay!

~Olivia

Raquel Byrnes said...

My mom reads my manuscripts and then looks at me as if she doesn't recognize her own child. "I had no idea you could do this..." she says.

She wanted me to be a doctor.

Congratulations on completing your recent work. Hope you have fun being "writing-ish" today.