Sunday, 11 July 2010

Acting Appropriately?

My full length Brian Northington piece continues, though I'm a little unsure about one spot, namely the one where he first realises that fantastic things exist. I think it's quite a hard moment for writers to get right in general, because the most obvious reactions (extended disbelief, uncooperativeness, or running away from all the other characters) aren't exactly helpful when it comes to the plot. I've decided to go for what seems like the funniest option (passing out from the shock, then later getting obsessively interested by dragons, this is Brian after all)

I suppose the point here is that characters don't always behave like ordinary people, because they aren't. So long as the reaction isn't actually inconsistent with what we have seen of them, it doesn't strike me as a problem.

3 comments:

Christine H said...

I know what you mean. I have a scene in which my fantasy heroine bursts into tears. I'm not comfortable with it, and neither is she, but it's what she (and just about any other young woman who had just been through an extremely trying ordeal) would do. Like you, I handled it with humor.

Demon Hunter said...

Go with the personality of your character. How do you think someone with that personality would react to the situation? :-D

Lauren said...

I think that characters in books have to make more sense than actual people and in that way to behave differently. Sometimes real people do things randomly and there just isn't room in a novel to do anything except what will show you more about the character (like Christine having her character burst into tears even though the character doesn't want to...that shows a lot about how the character views herself as well as who the character is) or will move the plot along.