Friday, 4 June 2010

Dream Sequence Blogfest

This is taken from my comic fantasy novel Court of Dreams, and is at the back end of a sort of dream vision... thing.


The dream faded into blackness, but it felt more like an interval than a conclusion. A drumming sounded, like the low thrum of a heartbeat, pulsing through Thomas with every note. Thomas didn’t care. He was too busy feeling a bit cheated that this vision seemed to have stolen its dialogue from a soap opera somewhere, while at the same time trying to make sense of the things he’d just seen.

Questions milled around in his head. Had that been his… father? Had it really been his mother? She’d looked so young, so happy, so sad, all at once. Was he going to have to sit through a whole season’s worth of episodes before he woke up? Why hadn’t she told him? The words lined themselves up in his consciousness like lead weights, until they were all he could think about. Thomas was still thinking it when something beside him cleared its throat.

‘Excuse me?’

Pushing the questions away for a moment, Thomas turned to see a huge, hairy creature that managed to look like some unholy combination of a lion and a rabbit, floppy eared and button nosed, but with lion’s paws, and very definitely lion’s teeth. It looked like the sort of thing that might evolve if the carrots started fighting back.

‘What is it?’ Thomas demanded.

‘Well, I was wondering if we could get on with this?’

‘Get on with what?’

‘Well, it’s your basic shamanic type dream vision, isn’t it?’ the beast thing explained. ‘First you have your vision, and then you undergo a sort of rebirth thing.’

‘And how does that work?’ Thomas asked carefully.

‘Well, you see, first we’re supposed to have this big fight, all symbolic of the struggle of man against his darker nature, like. Then I eat you, strip off all your skin and spit out your bones.’

‘To symbolise getting rid of the old life?’ Thomas guessed.

‘Well, that too, but mostly ‘cause I like it. And after that you’re reborn.’ The thing twitched its nose. ‘So, are you ready?’

Thomas looked up at the thing where it waited patiently, hunger evident in every movement of its slavering jaws. Less so in the floppy ears, but definitely in the slavering.

‘Let me just get this straight. I’ve just had a dream vision of what I assume is my biological father leaving my mother pregnant with me, and you’re asking if I’m ready to be eaten by… what are you, anyway?’

‘They call me the Eater. Look, are you ready or not?’

Thomas looked around at the blackness again.

‘No.’

‘Well tough.’

The thing’s muscles bunched, getting ready to pounce. Its claws extended, its mouth opened hungrily. Without even thinking about it, Thomas waved a hand at the Eater. There was a loud pop as the space where the beast had been came to be occupied by a perfectly normal sized hamster. It paused for a moment, before running over and trying to nibble on his shoe. Thomas ignored it.

17 comments:

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Talk about lucid dreaming! I love the way he considers and dismisses the monster, and it sure made me grin.

Creepy Query Girl said...

lol- I liked this. Dark dream but I really enjoyed the humor and the dialogue was great.

Courtney Barr - The Southern Princess said...

I love that the dream sequence is explained! What a twist! love it...

I am excited to have now discovered your blog! ;o)

I love blogfest days.

Visit My Kingdom Anytime

Kristen said...

I really liked how this was both humorous and creepy, and throughout it held that dream-like quality. Well done!!

Raquel Byrnes said...

This was delightfully disjointed and unexpected. I loved it. The weird bunny, the soap opera, the hamster.

You have a truly entertaining imagination. Thanks for this...it was fun to read.

Iapetus999 said...

Friggin dream hamsters!
They get into everything!

Funny!
Nice job...does this reflect your own dreams by any chance?

Amalia T. said...

This was great! Your imagery and description is really fun. I especially liked the description of the beast as something that might evolve if carrots started fighting back. Very interesting and well done.

Thanks for participating!

Elaine AM Smith said...

Dark dreaming. Isn't it fun to be able to hold lucid discussion with the huge and hairy that wants to eat you? Great fun.

sarahjayne smythe said...

Wow. What a great dream. Dark and kinda creepy with a bit of snarky dialogue. That's my kind of dream. :)

Tessa Conte said...

hehe...they call me the eater. Great line. Great excerpt. So is this still part of the dream or has he effectively woken up?

sarahjayne smythe said...

Wow. I love dark dreams and I love your dialogue here. Very creepy and snarky. Great combination. :)

elizabeth mueller said...

Oooh!! I heard that we can control our dreams just like Thomas does here. Have you ever done that? I wish I could, imagine that! Nice piece, thanks for sharing with us! ;)

Thank you for dropping by my blog and reading my dream sequence! :D

sharongerlach said...

I love dark & humorous all rolled into one. And I like how he doesn't take the Eater seriously at first. Nice work!

Hayley said...

Dark but enjoyable, I'd read more, nice job.

Donna Hole said...

Kinda like Hermione thumping Gwaap on the nose.

"the sort of thing that might evolve if the carrots started fighting back." That line will be in my head a long time to come. I may have to start cooking all my carrots.

...........dhole

Kris & Kels said...

This made me laugh out loud. I love the comedy mixed in with everything else. Great entry!

<3 Kelsey Leigh

Dawn Embers said...

Well done. A bunny lion hybrid? How strange and wonderfully fantastical at the same time. Sweet!