Tuesday, 15 June 2010

Character Interview Blogfest

Right. You are...
Brian Northington. I'm in the 'Receipt for a Dragon' stories.

You're the hero of the receipt for a dragon series
Um... I suppose so. If you say so. Mostly, I seem to end up in some sort of trouble. Anyway, Spider says that heroes are mostly adrenaline seeking idiots.

I didn't mean hero in the sense of 'large bloke in furry underwear swinging a sword'. I meant that you're the main character.
No, that can't be right. Isn't Trouble the main character? He's far more interesting than I am.

Trouble is a not-quite-chameleon whose main function is to wander round changing colour to whatever is funniest at the time. He's a lizard, Brian.
Like I said. Interesting.

He hasn't even been in the two published stories. He's in the unpublished stuff.
No, but there was like a dragon thing in the first one, and a sort of basilisk in the next. I thought those bits were very interesting. I'm not so sure about all those bits with people in, though.

Assorted reptiles are not the main characters! You are!
There's no need to shout. Spider shouts at me more than enough.

Yes, about that. When are you going to get round to resolving this unresolved tension between you and Cynthia?
You mustn't call her that. She hates being called that. Anyway, what tension? I hadn't noticed any tension.

No, you probably hadn't. I suspect that might be the problem. Let's talk about your job for a moment, shall we? How are you enjoying putting together various bits of the fantasy infrastructure for P.Edgeborough and co?
It's all right, I suppose, though there don't seem to be quite as many dragons as I'd hoped. Still, it's very varied. I've had to run away from all sorts of people so far. Also a giant boulder. Could we talk about the giant boulder? That one almost killed me.

It's an important cultural reference. Look, what I really want to know is how you might react to having to save the world. I'm thinking of having you do it.
Um... do I have to? I mean, I'm not sure that Peter would give me the time off. He'd probably mean to, but then he would forget.

I was thinking of making it work related
Oh. That's probably all right then. I'm not sure Spider will be happy with it though.

She'll probably be even more unhappy if I decide to include my current "pretty female vampire on work experience" plan
Really, why? I'd have thought that it would be someone for her to take under her wing.

You really don't get these things, do you? Look, is there anything else you want to say?
Well, I did read this great article the other day on the habits of Reticulated Pythons. Apparently-

Brian.
Oh, right. I'll be going then, shall I? I'm supposed to be putting some new snake pits into Evil Lord Gunge's 'Mausoleum of Mild Disappointment'. He wanted it to be a Tomb of Terror, but I'm not sure it's really possible. Not on his budget...

22 comments:

Ted Cross said...

The reluctant hero. I always like them! Thanks for commenting on my blog.

Clara said...

Omg he is so Zen! And I´m super curious about Spider =D Is he/she his master?

And what a humble hero you have! Really sweet! =D

Rigel said...

Great character interview! You have a very ... lively protagonist there. :D

Sangu said...

Hahaha I love how the two of you ended up arguing your way through this. Characters. Such a nuisance, aren't they? But what would we do without them?

I think my favourite line was yours: "Assorted reptiles are not the main character! You are!" Brilliant.

Thanks for participating!

stu said...

Clara, Spider is the name that Cynthia Williams-Frothes, Brian's co-worker, manages to persuade everyone except her mother to call her.

Mia said...

I'm curious about this Trouble he speaks of. Interesting.

I like Brian, he's very reluctant in his Hero title but that's what makes him more real.

:) FAB interview

Amalia T. said...

Ha! I love how self-effacing and kind of clueless he is. very interesting character to put into the position of saving the world, for sure!

Suzie said...

Very humorous interview. Excellent job.

Enjoyable for the reader and plenty of details about your character(s)! I'm with Sangu, I loved the main character comment. It was priceless.

Demon Hunter said...

LOL. Ah, the hero and the interview were different--in a good way. :-D

elizabeth mueller said...

Oh, how funny! I love the humor you used. He's a good guy, alright! Where can I meet him???? ;)

Thanks for visiting my blog and your wonderful comments! Have a great week! :D

Kris & Kels said...

I love how reluctant he is! Priceless! Also his fascination with reptiles was slightly endearing. I love your dry humor. So creative!

<3 Kelsey Leigh

RaShelle said...

LOL - I like the reluctant hero and nothing better than a girl named Spider aka Cynthia.
It was great.

Tessa Conte said...

hehehe. I love it when characters disagree with their writers (makes me feel like I'm not the only weird person out there...ehm...)!

Fantastic Interview!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Humble chap if he thinks a chameleon is more interesting.

sharongerlach said...

Ha! I loved "Not on his budget." I often wonder how our characters would react to the circumstances we put them in were they real. I'm sure mine would find me and beat the crap out of me.

Great interview!

VR Barkowski said...

There is no character more engaging than the reluctant, clueless hero. Brian has a terrific voice.

Andrew Rosenberg said...

How do you even work with that guy? I want to strangle him.
He does have a point about the lizard...it's adorable!

Nice interview.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

I enjoyed reading this!

Clara said...

Oh btw, you got an award on my blog =)

Jodie said...

So funny. And yay Brian could save the world...eventually, with a bit of help.

Raquel Byrnes said...

That guy would drive me crazy. So nice that he's humble though. The lizard dude sounds pretty tough to beat...lime light wise.

stu said...

Not a lizard man. Just a lizard. Brian has a slightly unhealthy fascination with them, and really only took the job with P.Edgeborough and Co because of the chances of seeing dragons.

Well, that and the threat of having his memory wiped rather inexpertly if he didn't.