Saturday, 1 May 2010

Last line blogfest

A part of the last line blogfest, which lets you post twenty-five lines or so before the end so that people can make sense of things, these are the last lines of my comic fantasy novel, which is going under the working title Court of Dreams. I hope you enjoy them.


...Not having to listen to people telling you what to do was almost the definition of what he was now, and Grave liked it. Pointedly, he sat down and started to wash himself.

A little way further on, a tiny, furry shape moved into the open, scurrying for freedom. Yes, the cat that had been Grave thought, this was better than hunting people any day.

He heard the sound of footsteps long before he saw Poppy round the corner, working on the hedges with a watering can. One part of him wanted to yell ‘help, get me out of this’, but rather more of him wanted to walk up to her and rub against her legs, so he did. Grave wasn’t particularly surprised when she picked him up and started stroking his chin.

‘And where did you come from?’ She asked. Grave just purred. ‘You’re a loveable old thing, aren’t you?’

A memory surfaced with those words. Hadn’t Freli the witch told him something similar would happen? Damn it! The hag had known! Grave wanted to jump down, to race to the witch’s house and… and… well, part of him wanted to tear her limb from limb, obviously, but something else was telling him that the correct response was to sit outside her window and wail every night.

‘I’ve always wanted a cat.’ Poppy said, interrupting Grave’s feline thoughts of revenge. ‘How would you like it if you lived with me, Mr Cat? I’ll look after you, and stroke you, and you can eat all the mice that try to get at my plants.’

She put Grave down on the ground and picked up her watering can. She took a few steps back through the maze before stopping and looking back at him expectantly.

‘Are you coming, Mr Cat?’

Grave waited a moment. He had his dignity after all. Then, with a meow to tell the little scurrying thing in the hedge that he’d be back, he bounded after the gardener.

15 comments:

sarahjayne smythe said...

Interesting piece. It took me a minute to put the line 'he sat down and started to wash himself' with 'the cat that Grave had been' but when I did, I really liked this.

Elaine AM Smith said...

This is beautiful - gentle and melodic. You can see why the cat knows where he is best off.

stu said...

Though it might also help to know that until a couple of chapters before this, Grave was the foremost hunter of a faerie kingdom, but was spending most of the book being bossed around by another character.

Catherine A. Winn said...

I like this and I like that cat!

bryan sabol said...

This was pretty cute. I did stumble over grasping that Grave had been turned into a cat, but I assume that context had been given to the reader earlier on.
I like this mix of human/cat emotion going on.

Dawn Embers said...

Nice work. I'm always interested when a cat is involved and that's a fun name for a cat. Different and yet works.

Susan Fields said...

Very nice - I really enjoyed this. I'd definitely like to know more about Grave.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Stu, I did get the impression that Grave had been human before his current cat status.

You did a good job of counterbalancing his human perspective against his now-cat status and choice possibilites.

You bring the reader in, making him care for Grave and chuckle with his sense of humor.

I really liked this, Stu.

Roland

Hanna C. Howard said...

I was confused, too. But then I think I laughed in delighted surprise. I like knowing the backstory--and naturally want to know more of it.

I like it. It's full of snares that hook and snatch you into the Story.

VR Barkowski said...

I enjoyed this tremendously. Cats are such intriguing, thoughtful creatures, real but at the same time magical. I could believe anything of a cat and often wonder how much of their behavior is instinct and how much calculated.

Lilah Pierce said...

I LOVE this! I mean *LOVE*! It was so fun, and creative. Great job, and thank you so much for participating!

Raquel Byrnes said...

I did not expect that! A cat...explains the arrogance. Great post.

The Alliterative Allomorph said...

I was a little confused in the beginning, but then it clicked. Nice job! I really like your voice. It's quite soothing.

stu said...

Thanks for the kind comments.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Okay, this is charming. I like the feel of your writing. It has whimsy.