Sunday, 30 May 2010

History

I am considering something I never do, which is writing a short piece of historical fiction. Ordinarily, I keep fiction on one side of a clear line, and history on the other. Maybe this is a sign that I'm recovering some interest in history for its own sake, and not just because it's what I have to do.

I'm also working on expanding a piece I wrote for my local museum about Beverley's minster. Apparently, it needs more on the architectural changes. Personally, I've always seen architecture as coming a rather poor second to the people in it.

I also wrote a piece of flash fiction yesterday, which is the first fiction I've written for nearly a week. To spark my brain into action, I had one of those "write down every story idea you can think of" sessions, to see if anything caught my eye.

Tom Holt's Blonde Bombshell remains good. No time travel so far too, which has to be a first for him. Have I mentioned how much I dislike time travel in stories?

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I like the thought of writing down every story idea that comes across your mind. I've not actually heard of that before. Sounds like you could get some really neat things out of it. I do the write-down-every-possible-plot-twist thing, which is nice, too.

I agree about the people being much more interesting than the architecture. The architecture is all about those who live within and around it anyways. But good luck with the expansion/description.

Johanna said...

I don't think you should be wary of mixing the history with the fiction - you've got all the tools (and knowledge) to really make a Stu-pendous work! (Sorry, a little punchy this am.) Seriously though, historical fiction would seem a perfect melding of your skills. I so admire authors who can work true, acurate details into a good story...

Congrats on your latest book release!