Wednesday, 14 April 2010

A day's writing.

In a slight pause on the work front, I've found myself with a day to just get stuck into my WIP, putting on around 4000 words. I particularly enjoyed getting to write a parody of some of the medieval visions of the afterlife I have studied over the years. All right, so only about half a dozen people will ever get some of the references, but it's still fun making them.

On that thought, do you include many knowing references to other things in your writing? How do you feel about those little nods to things? Are they purely for comedy, unnecessary showing off, a great addition, or do you feel that you should be reading the thing referred to? Do you find yourself going through something like the work of Jasper Fforde or Terry Pratchett and not getting all the allusions? Does it matter?

I'm also enjoying re-reading Jim Butcher's Grave Peril. The joy of the re-read is that you already know that you're going to like the book. Do you re-read much? Are you one of those people who owns hundreds of books, yet only ever reads them once?

1 comment:

Wendy aka Quillfeather. said...

I re-read. A lot. My favourite books are akin to best friends. Dependable and comforting.