Wednesday, 21 April 2010

And then they...

One thing that intrigues me is that, if you really break them down, the sequences of events in most novels aren't really that interesting. This is even true in fantasy or science fiction, presumably because there are only so many ways that you can steal the eye of.../overthrow the evil... /teach advanced crochet to the ogres of...

I note this largely because yesterday I found myself facing the words "They run away. Aquire transport" in my plan. Now, my plans tend to be fairly simple precisely because I want to give myself options (and because I'm more interested in getting things right structurally at that stage than in the details. Details are easy to change) but that's pushing things.

I suppose the real beauty is that different people can write essentially the same thing different ways. Some writers would probably include a carjacking at this point, while others would no doubt resort to the creation of some sort of giant robot from things lying around in a potting shed. One or two would no doubt have them picked up by a homicidal maniac (though presumably not a very successful one, they have to get to the next chapter, after all). Personally, I thought I'd give the "completely out of his depth" one of this pair a chance to shine, by letting him arrange a lift quietly in the background while the other one unsuccessfully attempts difficult and dangerous ways of getting where they're going.

Oh, and they don't run so much as squelch.

3 comments:

Christina said...

I love when you give insights to your projects.

stu said...

Well, I would write about real life, but since that currently consists of "ghostwrite, pause, write own work, sleep" I'm beginning to suspect I don't have one.

Heather said...

I smiled at your comment reply to Christina. The post itself is very good and you know I've been thinking the same thing lately. I've just completed the Harry Potter series and it is very hard not to see the identical series of events plan in those.