Saturday, 27 March 2010

What I Haven't Been Doing.

It occurs to me that I've said hardly anything about England's tour of Bangladesh, or indeed about the Indian Premier League. It also occurs to me that there are probably good reasons for that. The former was played on dead pitches that robbed the Test series of all entertainment value. The latter, while full of exciting moments, seems to overdo things a little. I mean, two matches a day for over a month seems a bit much, doesn't it?

Equally, I haven't written much about what I'm reading, mostly because I can't remember much of it. I seem to be just sort of drifting through books without anything particularly catching my attention. Among the things I do remember: some urban fantasy in the form of Keri Arthur's 'The Darkest Kiss', Richelle Mead's 'Succubus Shadows' and Laurell K. Hamilton's 'Flirt'. The first is a decent all round adventure, the second is great fun, though I think possibly it overdoes the flashbacks just a touch, and the third was quite straightforward as the Anita Blake series goes.

It contained a wonderful bit at the end about the inevitable 'where do you get your ideas' questions, pointing out that different people can see the same thing in completely different ways, and that it's more about the way you interpret things as a writer/artist/performance penguin juggler (I may have made one of those up) than about what is happening around you.

Incidentally, I should know better than to write things like 'I'm finally happy with my first paragraph'. It is now the third, after I have had to alter the start to contain more of the dynamic between the main character and another who serves almost as a reflection of him in the piece. Is that something you do a lot? For some reason, I find the idea of pairs of characters particularly appealing, so it would be nice to know that it is somehow normal.

No comments: