Monday, 15 March 2010

From POV to Pob.

Pob being an annoying children's TV character from the eighties, if anyone cares. He didn't say much, wore jumpers even an archaeology professor would have baulked at, and generally needed several other characters explaining things for the programme to work at all.

The thing is, does their involvement suggest that in complex situations, the incorporation of additional points of view might be a good thing? Possibly not. Pob was very much the dim witted core around which the rest of it revolved, and without him to make them feel clever, many young children might not have been interested.

So why am I writing about TV characters no one but me remembers (I sometimes have the worrying thought that I might have halucinated the whole thing, which raises some scary questions)? Mostly because I've just realised that I'm giving away too much in my current WIP by jumping around the points of view. Unlike the previous couple of efforts, where multiple strands more or less demand the shift, these jumps aren't giving me anything new. Better then, I suspect, to home in on the one character and stay there. Just so long as he has more dialogue than 'P-O-B'.

2 comments:

englishcoach said...

I thought for a moment I knew who you were hallucinating about - unlikely since I left GB in 1977 - but I was confusing Pob with the wonderful aardman spoof called Pib and Pog - a jolly little piece involving concentrated sulphuric acid and cannon and the like - "My, Pog is in a playful mood today isn't he?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta7VHKGuoJY

James said...

If it makes you feel any better Stu, I remember Pob very well! And his jumpers...