Wednesday, 31 March 2010

Brief Thoughts on Plots

Plots are odd things, hard to tie down. They always seem to want to shift as you make them. No sooner have you finalised things absolutely, definitely for the last time (honest) than it occurs to you that things might work better the other way around.

They're also an area where people (by which I mean me) sometimes avoid thinking about the weaknesses in them. Sometimes I'll go around several rounds of edits wondering why a story is flat, changing small things, playing with dialogue, or characters, or description, or anything but the bit where the problem actually lies.

One of the stranger things about the ghostwriting is that I get the plots fully formed. That creates tremendous freedom to concentrate on those other aspects, but it also creates the need to stamp very heavily on the urge for things to change as you go. That's actually a good thing, sometimes, given how easily I can wander off track with these things.

3 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

You're preaching to the choir on this one. I too know this pain.

MG Higgins said...

I'd gladly attack my plot problem if I knew where it was!

stu said...

Yes, they can be harder to catch than a cat that knows he's about to be defleaed, can't they? (sorry, mine has been playing hide and seek in assorted bits of furniture for much of the morning)