Tuesday, 26 January 2010

Kreative Blogger Award

Lisa Damian has given me this Kreative Blogger Award, so thanks to her. Apparently, I'm supposed to tell you five random things about myself:

  1. Because I've moved around a bit, my accent tends to wander if I'm not careful. The trouble is, I have no idea I'm doing it at the time, because I'm also one of those people who thinks their voice sounds very different to how it really does.
  2. It took me six attempts to pass my driving test. Six.
  3. Rather unfortunately, given my academic field, I have a terrible memory for dates. Most of the time it isn't an issue, given that I can write them down and refer to them, but it can be a bit awkward when I can't remember things like exactly what year Beverley suffered a major fire. (Um... probably 1188-90ish, I think)
  4. Despite reading poetry and living in Hull, the first time I read any of the Hull "school" (as others have pointed out, it hardly counts as one stylistically) of poets I was a few hundred miles away, in Canterbury.
  5. When I first learnt to fence sabre, the fleche was still allowed and some small competitions didn't use electric kit in the first few rounds. I always love it when people in their fifties and sixties try to tell me about how much better fencing was in the old days. I was there. Even if I was eight.

3 comments:

Wendy (aka quillfeather). said...

Congrats on the award!

Nice to get to know a fellow blogger a little bit more :)

Lisa Damian said...

Six? Wow. I wonder if you'd be any better at driving on the right side of the road. Maybe you should move to the U.S. We have a lot of good universities out here, in case you want to do a post doc too (though they're not necessarily all high ranking in student satisfaction).

stu said...

I'm actually a pretty good driver now. I just wasn't when I was seventeen. As for the post docs, I think the usual route for british universities is to go straight into a research assistant/junior lecturer gig, which I'm sort of hoping to do, because I've just spotted a university after some early career medievalists.