Wednesday, 2 December 2009

Lists part two

Further to my post on lists, I've been writing a couple of them when I've been short of ideas, resulting in one finished short story, and the beginnings of another. The trick for me seems to lie in the transition between an interesting list and an interesting story, in particular finding some fragment of plot to create movement in what's otherwise quite static. I'm currently playing around with the idea of a BBC Un-natural History Unit, and going from a fun idea to an actual story idea with that was harder than I thought it might be.

The novel I've drifted into writing is ambling along at what's quite a slow pace for me, not because I'm unenthusiastic, but because I don't feel any particular need to race through the first draft of this. I want to cram as much in as possible, and that means going a little more slowly.

Good luck to Hull's fencing team against Durham 2nds today. It's potentially a banana skin match for them, if only because last year Durham's foil and epee sections caused us so much trouble. Again, this year's team is very sabre heavy, but hopefully the other two sections will do enough. I'm slightly worried that the team captain has been pointing out that I'm technically still a student while trying to get me to fence today. If a sabre squad with my most evenly matched training partner AB and a former Japanese international in Keita Azuma can't win, I'm not sure I make that much difference.

No comments: