Thursday, 5 November 2009

Remember, remember...

It's Guy Fawkes Night over in the UK tonight, nicely timed for the rain, I think. Though I'm planning on fencing this evening rather than standing watching small figures in the distance blow things into brightly coloured smithereens. (I love the word smithereen, don't you? It sounds like it ought to be an alien from Dr Who really. A tiny one.) If I wanted to do that, I'd go to watch the efforts of a few of my more chemistry inclined friends as they worked. That's one slight downside to history, I suppose. You hardly ever end up blowing up your workspace by accident. Though it occurs to me that, since they can cover just about anything that has ever been done in the past, up to and including slightly pyrotechnic experiments, the words "experimental archaeology" might be my friends here.

On a completely different note, I've managed to find this old review of semaphore magazine's first anthology, and I rather liked it. In fact it's made my day.

4 comments:

Jodie said...

I'll be in the pub, where it's warm, but I wish our local could organise a fireworks display.

Christina said...

lol. Smithereen is a good word, and when you mention alien, it really does come to life.

P.S. Did you get the book? I hope so. This was the first time we've sent something out of the U.S.

stu said...

I got it, thanks. I should probably have said something. I enjoyed it quite a lot, though the ending struck me as a bit of a variation on the "and it was all a dream" approach.

Christina said...

I'm glad it made it to you. I think the ending bothered a few people, but it was the concept of what techology could do to someone that really blew me away. The thought that spam could one day interfer with our thoughts. Scary.