Tuesday, 10 November 2009

Fencing

I popped in to the university fencing club last night, on the basis that I am technically still a student. Far too energetic. They're doing warm ups and things now, whereas my idea of warming up is usually to grab a weak foilist and fence them at half speed. On the other hand I did get to fence the university's new sabre expert, a nice young man from Japan named Kaito Azuma, over in Hull as an international student. Apparently he's already won the Coventry open, and I can see why. Talking of technically being a student, I now have a date for my viva. I'm not as nervous about it as I thought I'd be, but maybe that's because it's still a month off.

On the writing front, I'm still looking for homes for a few of my pieces, perhaps because there aren't that many places that look for the sillier sort of fantasy. Still, I have a list, and I shall work through it dilligently (with occasional blackmail where necessary).

I've also nearly finished a short historical article, which I'm hoping to submit to a journal that happened to send me (and, admittedly everyone else in my university. And probably several other universities. But they don't count) an e-mail asking for articles. The trick is finding a way to make something quite local seem like it might be of national importance. Or at least of importance outside a small corner of Nottinghamshire.

5 comments:

Jodie said...

Interesting - can you say what your article's subject is?

stu said...

It's about the differing rates of growth of three minster churches in the central middle ages, suggesting that there's a good reason why Southwell had twice as many canons as either Beverley or Ripon.

Lisa Damian said...

I have a bit of experience attempting to make local history sound more interesting. I wrote my book "Trout Valley, the Hertz Estate, and Curtiss Farm" which was published last year while I was also juggling my usual fantasy fiction. It really helped stretch me as a writer. I'd wager you'd be able to switch easily back and forth, having experience already with research and academic writing as well as other genres.

Heather said...

what is a viva? is that your PhD defense?

stu said...

Yes. It's short for a Viva Voce (live voice) defence of the thesis.