Wednesday, 7 October 2009

Stuff

  • I've finally got a complete first draft of one of the articles I've been working on, though I suspect that it may be on the short side. Brevity seems to be the name of the game for me at the moment.
  • I finished off K.E.Mills' Witches Incorporated earlier, and it's a good, fun story. Being a mystery, I'm not so sure about the re-read value, but it was certainly fun the first time through.
  • Unemployment seems to be creeping into my short stories. At least, the one I finished yesterday had a lot about recruitment consultancy, stereotypical fantasy villain style. Also worrying amounts of HR jargon.
  • Talking of which, I've gone through my computer files, deleting the stories I'll never be able to do anything with and submitting a few of the others. I do have an unfortunate tendency to leave things and forget them.
  • Rather oddly, I took it upon myself last night to start reading a french dictionary from cover to cover. I'm not entirely sure why, except that I generally don't do that well with normal approaches to language learning, so maybe randomly memorising words will help instead.

5 comments:

Jodie said...

Someone I know taught himself French (because he needed it for his BA history dissertation study - because he is charmingly insane) by watching all the series of the West Wing on DVD with French subtitles. Might work (he passed).

Christina said...

Congrats on the finished draft.

Reading the French Dictionary... um... wow! This is valuable information. Next time I need help finding a French word for a passage in my novel, I'll be emailing you. *wink*

MG Higgins said...

Wow, good luck with reading that French dictionary!

stu said...

I'm finding that so much of it is derived from the latin that I can usually understand written french, right up to the point where my old fencing friend Olivier gets started on facebook.

Lisa Damian said...

I took four years of French in high school. I became fluent enough to read a few French novels. Unfortunately, I hardly ever had the opportunity to speak it, and to this day, I still miss most of the conversation when people are speaking French around me.