Saturday, 26 September 2009

First Draft

About half an hour ago I completed a draft of the alternate version of the sequel to the comic fantasy novel I've been working on. It's still a little on the short side in this form compared to usual, at 73000 words, but so far I like it much better than the original approach. Presumably the thing to do is read it after a few days so that I can judge that more effectively, though at the moment it does seem to have the advantage of holding a single, coherent storyline, where the other feels like it's trying to split in two.

Obviously, I've got the various rounds of revisions to do on it, but it also means I'll probably be doing slightly more short fiction in the coming weeks, since I don't want to start another novel length effort straight away. I hadn't noticed until I looked just how few short stories I actually write. Maybe it's just that, when I get a nice idea, I tend to get a bit carried away.

2 comments:

Merrilee said...

Congrats Stu! Glad to see you reach the end :D

Lisa Damian said...

Or maybe it's that your ideas tend to be more complex.