Tuesday, 19 May 2009

Stuff

  • I would say that rewriting is like painting the Forth Bridge, except that I'm told they have longer lasting paint for that now, so it's actually worse. Round and round the cycles of re-writes and comments we go. Where we stop...
  • The European Elections are coming up in the UK. One thing that is annoying me quite a lot is that assorted parties are doing their election broadcasts, only to talk solely about things that, if by some miracle they should happen to win seats in Brussels, they would have no power to affect. My favourites were the English Democrats, who spent almost their whole broadcast going on about UK immigration and the need for a seperate English parliament, both issues for Westminister. The same with the many parties calling for a referendum on the EU. Essentially, every party that does this is saying "vote for me, and I'll do whatever I want".
  • Things I'm reading: The Great Gatsby, Coraline, the Touch of Twilight by Vicky Pettersson, Kathleen Edwards' The English Secular Cathedrals in the Middle Ages.
  • I need longer fingers. My attempts to play the stretchy bits out of Paul Gilbert songs don't work.

4 comments:

Jodie said...

See if we opted out of Europe those broadcasts would stop... (kidding, I'm kidding)

Alex Moore said...

hey, i was just thinking about dragging out my copy of the great gatsby!! maybe i should :) it's funny to see it mentioned here, rather out of the blue...

April Boland said...

Is it your first read of The Great Gatsby?

stu said...

Jodie, given the inclusion of Russia, I don't think it works like that.

Alex, coincidence? Or have I somehow bugged your bookshelves? (I'm going with the first one)

April, yes it's my first read through of it, though it's being affected by all the other things I'm reading at the same time.