Sunday, 1 March 2009

Aching Fingers

I've re-plotted and re-started the novel, and the good news is that the general outline of a lot of the scenes will still work. Unfortunately, the detail needs changing completely, since two of the characters have more or less switched places. In terms of pressure to get it done, I have plenty of time, since this is a couple of books down the line from where I'm up to on the selling front. It's just a question of fitting it around the PhD.

I've been reading The Glass House by Rachel Caine, one of the glut of YA vampire novels that have come out recently. It's ok, and possibly worth reading if you're into that sort of thing, but I had some issues with the lack of foreshadowing and with the lack of meaningful character change. I like characters, particularly YA characters, to grow and change more than happened here.

From a musical point of view, I've been on a bit of a Preston Reed kick the last few days, particularly trying to get my version of his piece 'Blasting Cap' up to speed without losing clarity. After all that left hand tapping, I'm going to have to give it a rest. My fingers have started to ache.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I have to re-plot and re-start a novel, so it's good to hear that you have things rolling for you. I dread sitting down with it because I'm afraid I'll find there is nothing to save. That's amazing that you're working on your PhD. I haven't the slightest how I even got my B.A. I tend to day dream a bit too much. I'm thinking about going for my M.F.A. though it's currently just a lingering thought.

stu said...

It's nice to know I'm not alone in that. On the postgrad front, one slight warning: be very sure as to why you're doing it before you decide to commit that much time, effort and money. Looking back, I wouldn't do the PhD again.