Saturday, 7 February 2009

Bob the Vampire RIP

I killed off a minor character today, which always feels a bit weird, or maybe that's just me. There's something about making someone up, putting them through all sorts of odd situations, and then suddenly deciding that they need to die for the story to work out right that makes me feel a bit odd. Or possibly like the Godfather. One or the other, anyway.

The hard part was putting together a workable fight scene in the context of comic fantasy. For the urban fantasy that is my other novels' focus, it's a fairly accepted part of the sub-genre. For this, it's harder, since you have to find ways of taking violence and death and somehow still getting the odd laugh. Hopefully, I've found a way.

So RIP Bob the Vampire (the name works rather better in context, trust me). Now, onto the next bit.

4 comments:

Dave King said...

It's still very brave of you.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I'm often fascinated by how characters can take on a life (or in this case death) of their own, and it seems to be taken out of the writers' hands...

Lauren said...

I love it when books kill off characters. It raises the stakes for the other characters because you know that they could die. That's great that you didn't pull that punch.

Peter said...

Interesting...

do you feel a bit like a god..? :)