Saturday, 31 January 2009

Resolutions 2

So, the end of January. The obvious question is whether I've managed to keep any of my resolutions for a whole month. As a reminder, they were:

  1. Remember to send things out once I've written them.
  2. Don't start new work part way through the old.
  3. Try to fence smarter, leaving the Nu-sabre well alone.
  4. Include more penguins in my stories. (Because I like them)
  5. Actually remember to write something shorter than a novel occasionally
  6. Finish the PhD. I mean it this time.

And the answers are:

  1. Sort of. I've sent out a couple of short stories anyway. Of course, I've just had an e-mail back saying that one of the places I sent them no longer exists, so maybe I'll have to start trying places that do.
  2. Umm... I've started lots of short poems and things while I'm still working on this novel (which in line with most of mine doesn't quite have a good title yet). I am, however, resisting the urge to do anything about an entirely seperate novel idea.
  3. Let's see: hand at the base of the grip, emphasis on distance almost to the exclusion of everything, blade down half the time, use of the flunge... I think it's safe to say this one never really had a chance after I finished a pathetic 8th in the Yorkshire Sabre.
  4. There's one (or at least a giant statue of one) in one of the novels I've finished. Other than that, I still need more.
  5. See 2. Though also see the fact that I haven't written a decent short story all month.
  6. Oh come on. It's the end of January. I've got months yet.

4 comments:

Dave King said...

Not bad! As for 2, I often find that when having a couple of writings on the go they can tend to fertilise each other - but have to ad,it it is a bit iffy.

englishcoach said...

Apropos no. 3: if you went out to the guy who went on to win, then you surely shouldn't be quite so down on yourself. Pathetic? I don't think so.

Peter said...

Can you ever have too many penguins...?

Really...?

stu said...

If you're in the Antarctic, attempting to complete an ambition of playing cricket on every continent, possibly. And no, I haven't made that up. The late TV producer/writer Harry Thompson found himself faced with exactly that. Hence the title of his book Penguins Stop Play.