Saturday, 3 January 2009

Quantity and Quality

Over the past couple of days, I've been producing less on the novel, since I've been working on a combination of the PhD and on various rewrites. The slight reduction to just a thousand words or so seems to be having an interesting effect, since the bits I've been doing seem to be slightly better as a result. Perhaps it's simply that I'm not rushing ahead, or maybe that I'm just giving one segment of the whole my attention at a time, but the reduction in quantity genuinely seems to be sparking an improvement in the quality, putting it maybe a draft ahead. Possibly the people who did NaNoWrMo may have found the same thing, though I suspect this won't last long with me. I get the urge to write the next bit of the story far too much.

No comments: