Friday, 10 October 2008

Archive Skills

I had my first seminar of an archives skills module I'm taking (for the credits) today, and it went all right. Even so, I can't help but feel that after years of study in archives an libraries, I kind of know this stuff already. Not to mention the fact that my major archive skill is an ability to navigate the motorway around Nottingham, where Southwell's main chartulary is located. I suppose that's one of the strange things with doing a PhD. You have to employ these different skills, and if you don't do the official training straight away, then by the time it comes to do it (did I mention that it was for the credits?) you've been using the skills for years. It makes things a little more awkward that many of the modules available are also there for MA and some third year undergrad students, meaning that I've actually done them before. It means I'm scouring the PGTS handbook, searching for relevant things that are fresh to me. Quantitative Methods for Historians, anyone? Actually, that sounds like one of the better options at the moment.

2 comments:

Heather said...

LOL Your sarcasm is too funny.

stu said...

Sarcasm? Me?