Monday, 29 September 2008

Loud Enough?

The other day, I was listening to radio four, for no apparent reason, and ran into their segment 'Poetry Please' where listeners' poetry requests are read out. Aside from reinforcing my thought that the average person, when they think of poetry at all, thinks of old poetry, it did reinforce the importance of the way poetry is read. They had someone reading through Rossetti's 'Goblin Market' and the reading was, to my ears at least, utterly awful. But it did get me thinking. How often, when you read poetry, do you read it aloud? If you don't, I'd recommend it. It captures the rhythm and weight of the words better than the eye ever can. At least when not read on radio four by someone who insists on silly voices and unnattural stresses.

2 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

a lot of poets even have silly voices when reading their own work at readings. I don't know why they do this.

I read poetry aloud quite a lot, it does give it more life and i like goign to petry readings, too, though obviously i prefer when the poets don't do silly voices...

stu said...

I think part of the problem was that it was Goblin Market, and she insisted on doing 'Goblin' voices at the appropriate points. It doesn't do much for the power of the stuff.